How long has it been since the last time you looked for low-cost car insurance rates in Los Angeles, CA? Los Angeles consumers have options when looking for affordable Mitsubishi Lancer insurance. They can either waste time struggling with agents to compare prices or leverage the internet to make rate comparisons. There is a better way to find car insurance online so you’re going to learn the best way to price shop coverage for a new or used Mitsubishi and get the best price possible from Los Angeles insurance agents and online providers.
It is always a good idea to check car insurance prices once or twice a year because car insurance rates tend to go up over time. Even if you got the best rate on Mitsubishi Lancer insurance in Los Angeles a few years ago you can probably find a better price now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re about to learn how to use online quotes to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on Mitsubishi Lancer insurance in Los Angeles.
Getting a cheaper price on Mitsubishi Lancer insurance is actually quite simple. You just have to invest a little time getting comparison quotes to find the company with the cheapest Mitsubishi Lancer rate quotes.
The companies in the list below provide price comparisons in Los Angeles, CA. If multiple providers are shown, it’s highly recommended you get price quotes from several of them to get the lowest price.
Rates and detailed analysis
The premium information shown next outlines a range of prices for Mitsubishi Lancer models. Having a good grasp of how insurance prices are formulated can be useful when making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Lancer Sportback GTS||$348||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,578||$132|
|Lancer Sportback Ralliart||$384||$712||$442||$26||$132||$1,696||$141|
|Get Your Own Customized Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in specific location information which can change auto insurance rates noticeably.
The example below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease Mitsubishi Lancer insurance premiums for each age group. The information is based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper car insurance rates
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders drive up Mitsubishi Lancer car insurance rates for each age group. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The chart below illustrates the difference between Mitsubishi Lancer auto insurance rates with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The premiums are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no written rule for eliminating comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s say your Mitsubishi Lancer replacement cost is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $800 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Why you need insurance for your Mitsubishi Lancer
Despite the high cost, insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Mitsubishi Lancer with a loan, most lenders will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Mitsubishi at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your Mitsubishi Lancer and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Mitsubishi gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your Lancer definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. An average driver in America overpays as much as $830 a year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Los Angeles insurance discounts for a Mitsubishi Lancer
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Most are applied at quote time, but some need to be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles on your Mitsubishi can qualify you for slightly better prices than normal.
- Paper-free Discount – A handful of car insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks shop Los Angeles auto insurance on their website.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Drivers Education – Teen drivers should enroll and complete driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies give discounts for signing up before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed with a military unit could trigger a small discount.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The illustration below shows the comparison of Mitsubishi Lancer insurance premiums with and without policy discounts. Data assumes a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts for anti-theft, good driver, defensive driving training, good student, passive restraint, accident-free, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online quote discount, online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife may include discounts for multi-policy, defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, good student, claim-free
- Farm Bureau has discounts for 55 and retired, good student, safe driver, multi-policy, and renewal discount.
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-policy, five-year accident-free, air bags, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, homeowner, drive less, and safe driver.
If you want cheaper Los Angeles auto insurance quotes, ask each company how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your state. To locate providers with the best discounts in California, follow this link.
Insurance is unique, just like you
When buying coverage, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Compare rates but buy from a local Los Angeles insurance agent
Some people prefer to visit with an insurance agent. Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to participating agents in Los Angeles who will return price quotes for your business. There is no reason to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to you. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap quote. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
When looking for a local Los Angeles insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they operate. Agencies in Los Angeles are considered either independent or exclusive. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out why they differ since it can affect your agent selection.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only write with one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents receive extensive training on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the prominence of the brand and solid financial strength.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Los Angeles that are able to give price quote information.
- Yvonne Solis – State Farm Insurance Agent
1375 Sunset Blvd – Los Angeles, CA 90026 – (213) 202-2800 – View Map
- Bob Little – State Farm Insurance Agent
11654 W Pico Blvd – Los Angeles, CA 90064 – (310) 478-2001 – View Map
- Oleg Avanesov – State Farm Insurance Agent
12245 California Route 2 – Los Angeles, CA 90025 – (310) 826-8700 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you.
When comparison shopping, you definitely need to include several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most also write with lesser-known insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Listed below are Los Angeles independent insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
- Sean Paul Insurance Agency
3101 Silver Lake Blvd – Los Angeles, CA 90039 – (323) 667-9180 – View Map
- STARC INSURANCE AGENCY,INC
5250 W Century Blvd #426 – Los Angeles, CA 90045 – (888) 400-4004 – View Map
- Choice Insurance Agency
1601 S La Brea Ave – Los Angeles, CA 90019 – (323) 933-9888 – View Map
Auto insurance policy specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Coverage for liability – Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as legal defense fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, bail bonds, court costs and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Comprehensive auto coverage – This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as hail damage, theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane and vandalism. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your Lancer from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like scraping a guard rail, damaging your car on a curb, hitting a parking meter and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Lancer to get cheaper collision coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Med pay and PIP coverage pay for short-term medical expenses like hospital visits, nursing services, dental work, EMT expenses and funeral costs. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Find cheap rates by being thorough
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Consumers switch companies for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high prices or denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right auto insurance provider is not as difficult as it may seem.
Cost effective Mitsubishi Lancer insurance can be purchased both online in addition to many Los Angeles insurance agents, so you need to quote Los Angeles auto insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not provide price quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
Even more information can be found by following these links:
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Female in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- How Much is Los Angeles Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Malibu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford Focus in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)