How many times have you told yourself it's time to shop around for the cheapest Scion iQ insurance in Los Angeles? Have you had enough of scraping nickels together to insure your Scion every month? Your situation is no different than the majority of other vehicle owners in California.
A recent study showed that a large majority of auto insurance policyholders in California have remained with the same auto insurance company for at least four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save roughly $859 every year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate how much money they would save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one. There are many insurers to choose from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, having more insurers makes it harder to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
The easiest way to compare insurance rates in your area takes advantage of the fact most of the bigger providers participate in a system to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is give them rating details such as your job, daily mileage, whether you drive to work or school, and your credit rating estimate. Those rating factors is then sent to all major companies and you get price estimates almost instantly.
To find lower lower-cost Scion iQ insurance rates now, click here and complete the quick form.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Los Angeles, CA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Scion in Los Angeles, buying auto insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Scion at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Scion as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your iQ definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so you should quote rates every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Affordable Los Angeles insurance rates with discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may qualify for discounts that many people don't even know exist. Some discounts will apply at quote time, but a few need to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Onboard Data Collection - Drivers that enable their insurance company to spy on driving patterns remotely such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Driver's Education for Students - Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if it's offered in school.
- Organization Discounts - Joining certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on insurance.
- Discount for Good Grades - This discount may save as much as 25% on a Los Angeles car insurance quote. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Low Miles Discount - Fewer annual miles on your Scion could qualify for slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This one isn't a discount, but some companies like Liberty Mutual and GEICO will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
Discounts lower rates, but most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck.
Large insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- GEICO has savings for military active duty, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, driver training, and emergency military deployment.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, multiple vehicles, paperless, good student, group or association, teen driver, and company car.
- American Family offers discounts including TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, accident-free, defensive driver, Steer into Savings, and air bags.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, paid-in-full, and online quote.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, homeowner, multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- State Farm has discounts for accident-free, passive restraint, good student, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and defensive driving training.
- AAA includes discounts for good student, multi-policy, education and occupation, anti-theft, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
Double check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above might not apply in your area. To locate insurers with discount rates in Los Angeles, click this link.
Insurance agent or online?
A small number of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended Good agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap insurance quotes and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Los Angeles.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is transmitted to insurance agents in Los Angeles who want to provide quotes for your business. You don't have to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you need to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you just need to visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you need to find a good insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they work. Agents in Los Angeles are classified as either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can write insurance policies, but it is important to understand how they differ since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier which is easy for the insured. When comparing rate quotes, you will want to check rates from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agencies in Los Angeles that may be able to give free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents are contracted to one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following are exclusive agents in Los Angeles who can help you get price quote information.
Picking the best car insurance agent shouldn't rely on just the quoted price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- What discounts might you be missing?
Situations that may require an agent's advice
Always remember that when buying insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique and your insurance should unique, too. These are some specific questions can help discover if you might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Is my Scion iQ covered for smoke damage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Scion iQ?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the usual coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Comprehensive auto insurance
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as rock chips in glass, hail damage, theft and fire damage. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage provides protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since many California drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Coverage for liability
This can cover injuries or damage you cause to other's property or people. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims such as medical expenses, attorney fees and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses for doctor visits, funeral costs and pain medications. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage pays for damage to your iQ caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as scraping a guard rail, driving through your garage door, rolling your car, crashing into a building and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your iQ in order to get cheaper collision rates.
How much can you save?
While you're price shopping online, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, someone dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
We've covered a lot of information how to save on Scion iQ insurance in Los Angeles. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the best price on insurance is with an unexpected company. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Lower-priced insurance in Los Angeles can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Los Angeles agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not offer rates over the internet and these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
To learn more, take a look at the resources below:
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Los Angeles Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)