Trying to find better insurance prices for a new or used Mini Cooper in California can turn out to be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our auto insurance buying tips to find lower rates. There are both good and bad ways to shop for auto insurance and you need to know the quickest way to get price quotes for your Mini and locate the best price possible either online or from Los Angeles insurance agents.
You need to do price comparisons every six months since insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you had the best rate on Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. There is a lot of bad advice regarding Cooper insurance on the internet, but you can learn some of the best techniques to buy auto insurance cheaper in Los Angeles.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles
Companies that sell car insurance do not list all available discounts very well, so the list below details some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious ways to save on auto insurance.
- Senior Citizens - Mature drivers are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Online Discount - Some of the larger companies may give you up to $50 shop Los Angeles car insurance on their website.
- Passive Restraints - Options like air bags can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Smart Student Discounts - Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could earn a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find inexpensive Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles.
- Drivers Education - Require your teen driver to participate in a local driver's education class in school.
- Discount for New Cars - Insuring a vehicle that is new can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
Remember that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, that's just not realistic.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Mini Cooper insurance prices with and without some available policy discounts. The data is based on a female driver, no accidents, no driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-car, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
The best auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- AAA has discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-car, education and occupation, good driver, good student, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has savings for multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, and online signing.
- State Farm may have discounts that include safe vehicle, anti-theft, defensive driving training, passive restraint, and good student.
- Esurance may include discounts for multi-policy, renters, safety device, online shopper, anti-lock brakes, and multi-car.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including family plan, accident-free, business or organization, easy pay, good student, and defensive driving.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To find companies who offer online Mini Cooper insurance quotes in Los Angeles, click here.
How to get cheap Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles
All the larger auto insurance companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow consumers to get prices for coverage on the web. Getting Mini Cooper insurance prices online is very simple as you simply enter your coverage information into the form. When complete, the quote system requests credit information and your driving record and returns a price quote based on the data you entered.
Quoting online for Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles simplifies rate comparisons, and it is important to have as many quotes as possible if you are searching for affordable auto insurance pricing.
To get comparison pricing now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have coverage now, it's recommended that you enter the coverages as shown on your current policy. This way, you're receiving rate comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
The following companies provide comparison quotes in Los Angeles, CA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Mini Cooper insurance rates and statistics
The price information displayed below showcases detailed analysis of policy rates for Mini Cooper models. Understanding more about how insurance prices are established can help drivers make decisions on the best policy coverages.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Cooper 2-Dr Hatchback||$278||$464||$376||$22||$112||$1,252||$104|
|Cooper 2-Dr Convertible||$278||$464||$292||$18||$88||$1,140||$95|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Hatchback||$278||$546||$376||$22||$112||$1,334||$111|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Convertible||$314||$546||$292||$18||$88||$1,258||$105|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Hatchback||$314||$546||$376||$22||$112||$1,370||$114|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Convertible||$348||$630||$292||$18||$88||$1,376||$115|
|Get Your Own Customized Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in zip code location which can raise or lower price quotes significantly.
Full coverage or liability only
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Mini Cooper car insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The prices are based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no exact rule to delete full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Mini Cooper replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $2,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $200 a year for physical damage coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
How You Can Control Mini Cooper Insurance Costs
Lots of things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent like where you live or your commute time. Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. If you understand what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower premium levels.
Extra coverages you don't use - There are a ton of additional coverages that can add up on your Cooper policy. Coverages for coverage for rental cars, towing, and Farm Bureau memberships are examples of these. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so remove them from your policy.
Premiums are affected by your credit rating - Having a good credit rating is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. People with high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores. If your credit can be improved, you could save money insuring your Mini Cooper if you clean up your credit.
Higher rates for specific vocations - Careers such as military personnel, airline pilots, and medical professionals have higher premium rates because of intense work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Other jobs like actors, historians and performers pay the least.
Gals tend to cost less - Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don't assume that men are worse drivers. Men and women get in at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
The example below compares Mini Cooper annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Youthful drivers pay high costs - Beginning drivers in California have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher. If you've ever had to add a first-time driver onto your auto insurance can really hurt. Older, more experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, cause fewer claims and accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The following chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Urban areas may pay more - Being located in a small town has it's advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. Urban drivers regularly have congested traffic and more time behind the wheel. More time behind the wheel translates into higher accident risk.
Insurance losses for a Mini Cooper - Insurance companies include the past claim trends for vehicles to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Vehicles that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have increased rates. The data below shows the historical loss data for Mini Cooper vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, equals 100. Values that are under 100 represent a good loss history, while values that are above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have higher losses.
|Specific Mini Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mini Cooper Convertible||80||72||100||57|
|Mini Cooper Coupe||72||60|
|Mini Cooper Roadster Convertible||57||50||78|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
How much car insurance do I need?
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage for your vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is a little different and your car insurance should be unique as well. For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
When should I get advice from an insurance agency?
Some consumers still like to buy from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, the quote information is sent to participating agents in Los Angeles that provide free Los Angeles car insurance quotes for your business. You don't have to search for an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Does the company have a local claim office in Los Angeles?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Is the agent properly licensed in California?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
When looking for a local agent, there are a couple of types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents may be either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either can write policy coverage, but it's important to know the difference between them because it can impact which agent you choose.
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. These agents receive a lot of sales training on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Drivers often use the same agent primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Los Angeles that can give you price quote information.
- Julie Montenegro - State Farm Insurance Agent
5683 York Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 90042 - (323) 892-2880 - View Map
- Bob Little - State Farm Insurance Agent
11654 W Pico Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 90064 - (310) 478-2001 - View Map
- Yvonne Solis - State Farm Insurance Agent
1375 Sunset Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 90026 - (213) 202-2800 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
These agents do not write with just one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to find a new agent.
When comparing auto insurance rates, it's a good idea to get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers which could offer lower prices.
Shown below are independent agents in Los Angeles willing to provide rate quotes.
- InsurAide Insurance Agency, Inc. (IIA)
1081 Westwood Blvd Suite 218 - Los Angeles, CA 90024 - (310) 208-3548 - View Map
- Anthony Elliot Insurance Agency, Inc.
3349 Cahuenga Blvd W #2 - Los Angeles, CA 90068 - (323) 876-1980 - View Map
- Crown Reinas Insurance Agency
5331 N Figueroa St - Los Angeles, CA 90042 - (323) 550-1444 - View Map
Buying the right Mini Cooper insurance in California is an important decision
Even though Los Angeles Cooper insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Mini with a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Mini at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Mini as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having car insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver overpays as much as $855 a year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Don't give up on cheaper premiums
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Some insurance providers may not have the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agencies. Affordable Mini Cooper insurance in Los Angeles is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Los Angeles insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
Much more information about car insurance in California is located below:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Cheap Los Angeles Auto Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Rogue in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Government Employees in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)