Are you tired of not being able to afford to buy auto insurance? You are in the same boat as many other California drivers.
Remarkably, a study showed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers have been with the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. California insurance shoppers could save roughly 35% a year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate the actual amount they would save if they switched.
Since you have so many auto insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to choose the best insurance company.
It's smart to compare premium rates on a regular basis because auto insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the best deal on Dodge Dakota insurance in Los Angeles a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding Dakota insurance out there, but I'm going to show you the best ways to quit paying high auto insurance rates in Los Angeles.
Choosing the best rates in Los Angeles is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will be able to find better prices using this strategy. Although California consumers must understand the way insurance companies calculate your policy premium and use it to your advantage.
How much is Dodge Dakota insurance in Los Angeles, CA?
Most of the larger companies make it easy to get coverage prices on their websites. This process can be done by anyone as all you need to do is type in your coverage information as detailed in the form. When the form is submitted, their system will order your driving record and credit report and provides a quote based on the information you submitted. Getting online rate quotes for Dodge Dakota insurance in Los Angeles makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's necessary to do this if you want to get cheap rates.
To quickly compare rates now, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you enter the coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. This helps ensure you are getting an apples-to-apples comparison based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Los Angeles, CA. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Analysis of coverages
The rate information displayed below covers different coverage costs for Dodge Dakota models. Having a good grasp of how car insurance prices are established can be useful when making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$242||$464||$552||$32||$166||$1,456||$121|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$242||$464||$552||$32||$166||$1,456||$121|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$552||$32||$166||$1,492||$124|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$552||$32||$166||$1,492||$124|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$278||$546||$552||$32||$166||$1,574||$131|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$278||$546||$552||$32||$166||$1,574||$131|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$552||$32||$166||$1,610||$134|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$348||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,494||$125|
|Get Your Own Customized Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in specific Los Angeles garaging location which can influence auto insurance rates considerably.
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Dodge Dakota insurance prices for different ages of insureds. Data assumes a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by gender
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Do you need full coverage?
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the California minimum liability coverage. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There isn't a steadfast formula to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Dodge Dakota replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $400 annually for full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where eliminating full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Why you need vehicle insurance in California
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Dodge in Los Angeles, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, most lenders will require that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, insurance protects not only your Dodge but also your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Dodge gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $825 a year so you should quote and compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Smart Consumers Can Reduce Their Insurance Rates
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you understand what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with cheaper rates.
- Your stress level may be raising your premiums - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupational choices like judges, police officers, and medical professionals generally pay higher average rates because of high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, occupations like actors, engineers and homemakers generally pay rates lower than average.
Responsible drivers pay less - Your driving citation history can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Good drivers get better prices as compared to careless drivers. Just one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Drivers who have received severe tickets like reckless driving or DUI may be required to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
The chart below demonstrates how citations and fender-benders can drive up Dodge Dakota insurance premiums for different categories of driver ages. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? - Buying a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping auto theft.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? - Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense coverage to defend your case. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- High comp and collision deductibles cost less - Comp and collision deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage protection, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and damage caused by road hazards. The larger the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the better rate you will receive.
- Less chance of injury means lower prices - Safe vehicles tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce the chance of injuries and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates. If your Dodge Dakota scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Never go without insurance - Having an insurance coverage lapse is a guaranteed way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Save a ton by earning discounts
Some companies don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Good Student - A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Drive Safe and Save - Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Los Angeles Homeowners Pay Less - Owning your own home or condo may earn you a small savings because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Discount for New Cars - Putting auto insurance coverage on a new Dakota can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with substantially lower prices.
- Paperless Signup - Some of the larger companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application online.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy and place coverage with the same company you could save up to 20% and get you the cheapest Dodge Dakota insurance in Los Angeles.
Please keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don't profit that way. But any discount will reduce your overall bill.
The information below illustrates the difference between Dodge Dakota yearly insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The prices are based on a female driver, no claims or violations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, safe-driver, marriage, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-car discounts applied.
Companies who may offer these benefits include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Discounts might not be offered in your area. To choose auto insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in California, click this link.
You may need help from a local insurance agent
Many drivers would rather sit down and talk to an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find better rates and also buy local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the quote information is immediately sent to participating agents in Los Angeles that provide free Los Angeles auto insurance quotes to get your business. There is no reason to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to your email. It's the lowest rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you can always go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking an insurance company should include more criteria than just a low price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Los Angeles?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Los Angeles?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
When finding a reliable insurance agency, it's important to understand the types of agencies that you can select. Agents are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with like American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are Los Angeles exclusive agents that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a cheaper price, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you include rate quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection.
Listed below are Los Angeles independent agencies willing to provide price quotes.
Upon getting reasonable responses to any questions you may have and cheaper Dakota insurance quotes, you may have found a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to insure your vehicles.
Smart consumers save more
When searching for affordable Dodge Dakota insurance quotes, never reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where someone dropped full coverage only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
We've covered some good ideas how you can compare Dodge Dakota insurance rates in Los Angeles. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding low cost Los Angeles auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates are with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Some auto insurance companies may not provide online rate quotes and usually these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies. More affordable auto insurance in Los Angeles can be found both online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
More information is available on the following sites:
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Low Income Drivers in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Teenagers in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Los Angeles Auto Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)