Do you think you bought an under-performing, overpriced auto insurance policy? You’re in good company because there are lots of people in the same boat.
It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want you quoting rates from other companies. People who shop for lower rates are very likely to buy a new policy because there is a high probability of getting low-cost coverage. A study discovered that drivers who make a habit of shopping around saved over $850 each year compared to those who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest price for insurance in Los Angeles is the reason you’re here, learning how to find companies and compare insurance can help you succeed in finding affordable rates. Because you have many different company options, it’s nearly impossible to locate the lowest price auto insurance provider.
The majority of larger companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive give prices on the web. Getting online rates for Chevy SS insurance in Los Angeles is possible for anyone because you just enter the coverage amounts you desire into a form. Once entered, the company’s rating system automatically retrieves your credit score and driving record and generates a price based on these factors. Getting online rates for Chevy SS insurance in Los Angeles makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is imperative to get many rate quotes in order to get lower-cost car insurance pricing.
To use this form to compare rates, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you replicate the coverages identical to your current policy. This helps ensure you will have a fair comparison using the same coverage and limits.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in California. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Chevy with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in California overpays more than $750 every year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Don’t overlook these eight Chevy SS insurance discounts
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there may be some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Many discounts should be triggered when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before you get the savings.
- Air Bag Discount – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Los Angeles car insurance quote than drivers with accident claims.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully take a driver’s education course in school.
- Distant College Student Discount – Any of your kids who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Multi-line Discount – Larger auto insurance companies have a break if you buy life insurance.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a driver safety course may get you a small discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down on your Chevy can earn discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
You can save money using discounts, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Companies that may include these discounts include:
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Savings may not be available in Los Angeles.
You may need help from a local insurance agent
Many people just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a great decision Professional insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an provider is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Get answers to these questions too.
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
The different types of car insurance agents
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a reputable agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies that you can select. Agents can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s a good idea to understand how they are different since it could factor into which agent you choose.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive agents in Los Angeles who may provide you with price quote information.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you need to contact a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Los Angeles who can help you get price quotes.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- How high should deductibles be on a Chevy SS?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in California?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Educate yourself about car insurance coverages
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like damaging your car on a curb, colliding with a tree, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car and sustaining damage from a pot hole. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible on your SS in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage will cover damage that occurs to people or other property by causing an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, funeral expenses, pain and suffering and structural damage. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Comprehensive car insurance
This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hail damage, hitting a deer, damage from a tornado or hurricane, a broken windshield and hitting a bird. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Chevy SS.
Since many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Coverage for medical expenses
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for rehabilitation expenses, pain medications, doctor visits, surgery and EMT expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Shop around and save
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, not issuing a premium refund, lack of trust in their agent and poor customer service. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is easier than you think.
More affordable insurance in Los Angeles can be found from both online companies and from local agencies, so get free Los Angeles car insurance quotes from both of them to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and usually these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional insurance information can be read below:
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Los Angeles Auto Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)