Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a Chevy Cruze in California could be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to save time.
There are more efficient ways to compare auto insurance rates and you need to know the quickest way to price shop coverage on a Chevy and get the lowest price from both online companies and Los Angeles agents.
Finding a lower price on insurance is pretty simple and can save money. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time to compare rates online from several insurance companies.
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in California. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you click on several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Car insurance is not optional in California
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Cruze insurance, car insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
First, just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your Cruze, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average driver in California overpays more than $825 a year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Affordable Chevy Cruze insurance in Los Angeles
Auto insurance is expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but some need to be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying a new car instead of a used Cruze can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Telematics Data – Policyholders that allow driving data submission to analyze driving habits by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may see discounts if they have good driving habits.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Good Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can stop better under adverse conditions so you can save 10 percent or more.
One thing to note about discounts is that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- American Family offers discounts including accident-free, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, defensive driver, bundled insurance, and Steer into Savings.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for youthful driver, multi-policy, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, good student, safe driver, and driver training.
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, safe vehicle, good driver, and driver’s education.
- Travelers discounts include IntelliDrive, save driver, continuous insurance, payment discounts, multi-car, new car, and early quote.
- The Hartford offers discounts for bundle, driver training, defensive driver, air bag, and vehicle fuel type.
- GEICO includes discounts for seat belt use, good student, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, and military active duty.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and online signing.
Before buying, ask each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in Los Angeles. If you would like to see a list of auto insurance companies who offer discounts in Los Angeles, click here to view.
Car insurance quotes from neighborhood Los Angeles auto insurance agents
A lot of people just want to buy from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended Good agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes and also buy local. Putting coverage with small agencies is important especially in Los Angeles.
Once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
When narrowing the list to find a local agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Los Angeles are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either type can sell car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the differences because it can factor into your selection of an agent.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing car insurance prices, we recommend you compare prices from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Shown below are independent insurance agents in Los Angeles that can give you price quotes.
- Ken Donaldson Insurance Agency
6108 Venice Blvd – Los Angeles, CA 90034 – (310) 451-4943 – View Map
- STARC INSURANCE AGENCY,INC
5250 W Century Blvd #426 – Los Angeles, CA 90045 – (888) 400-4004 – View Map
- Starco Insurance
1905 S Western Ave #19 – Los Angeles, CA 90018 – (310) 215-9991 – View Map
Exclusive agents can only place business with one company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents. A lot of people buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agents in Los Angeles who can help you get rate quotes.
- Kaz Achiwa – State Farm Insurance Agent
340 E Azusa St, Ste B – Los Angeles, CA 90012 – (213) 253-1210 – View Map
- Gregory Kim – State Farm Insurance Agent
3580 Wilshire Blvd #130 – Los Angeles, CA 90010 – (213) 365-2071 – View Map
- Ted Hope – State Farm Insurance Agent
2049 W Manchester Ave – Los Angeles, CA 90047 – (323) 752-4885 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the quoted price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- How long has their agency been open in Los Angeles?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Los Angeles?
After getting satisfactory answers as well as a affordable price, you may have found a car insurance agent that is professional and can insure your vehicles. Just remember policyholders can terminate your policy whenever you wish so don’t think that you are permanently stuck with any particular company with no way out.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same car insurance coverage
When it comes to buying your policy for your personal vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
For instance, these questions could help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- If my Chevy Cruze is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- How high should deductibles be on a Chevy Cruze?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- When should I drop full coverage on my Chevy Cruze?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Car insurance 101
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Liability insurance provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as repair costs for stationary objects, attorney fees and court costs. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below shows why the minimum limit may not be adequate.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses like prosthetic devices, pain medications, chiropractic care and doctor visits. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Chevy Cruze.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Usually these coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hitting a deer, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane, a broken windshield and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage covers damage to your Cruze resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like colliding with another moving vehicle, sideswiping another vehicle and hitting a mailbox. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Cruze in order to get cheaper collision rates.
The most affordable rates come from being thorough
Some insurance companies do not provide online quoting and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents. Lower-priced auto insurance in Los Angeles is possible on the web as well as from independent agents in Los Angeles, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
For more information, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Low Income Drivers in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Los Angeles Auto Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Los Angeles Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Los Angeles Auto Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)