Do you want to stop overpaying and find more competitive insurance rates in Los Angeles, CA? Los Angeles drivers have a choice when trying to find low-cost Nissan Leaf insurance. You can either spend your time calling around to get rate comparisons or use the internet to get rate quotes.
There is a better way to compare insurance rates and you need to know the proper way to price shop coverage for a Nissan and find the lowest possible price from Los Angeles insurance agents and online providers.
If you have coverage now or want to find a cheaper company, you will benefit by learning to buy cheaper auto insurance and still get good coverage. These tips will teach you a little about the most effective ways to compare rates and also pocket some savings You just have to understand the most efficient way to shop for auto insurance online.
The following companies are ready to provide free quotes in California. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Despite the potentially high cost of Nissan Leaf insurance, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Leaf has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Nissan at a much higher rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Leaf more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $850 per year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Lower Insurance Rates with These Tips
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but others are less apparent like where you live or your financial responsibility.
- Bad credit hurts insurance rates - Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in determining premium rates. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than those with lower credit ratings. Therefore, if your credit can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your Nissan Leaf by improving your rating.
- A car insurance policy lapse can increase premiums - Letting your insurance expire is a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines and jail time.
- Low mileage costs less - The more miles you rack up on your Nissan in a year the higher your rates will be. Many insurance companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that sit idle most of the time receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An improperly rated Leaf is throwing money out the window. It's a good idea to make sure your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage.
- Cheaper car insurance rates using theft deterrents - Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Theft deterrent systems like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Higher physical damage deductibles are cheaper - Physical damage protection, aka comp and collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose define how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Single drivers take more risk - Your spouse actually saves money on car insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more mature and statistics show drivers who are married are more cautious.
Nissan Leaf insurance claim data - Car insurance companies take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle when they calculate premium rates for each model. Models that are shown to have higher losses will have higher rates. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Nissan Leaf vehicles.
For each coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Values that are below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Nissan Leaf Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Nissan Leaf Electric 89 84 45 83 64 76BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Verify you're receiving every discount
Companies that sell car insurance don't always list all available discounts very well, so the list below details a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits that may apply to you. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Senior Citizen Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you may receive a slight reduction on a Los Angeles car insurance quote.
- Club Memberships - Joining a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
- Paper-free Discount - Some of the larger companies will give you a small discount for signing up on the internet.
- Student in College - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Los Angeles without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings as much as 30%.
- Early Signing - Some car insurance companies give discounts for signing up before your current Leaf insurance policy expires. You could save around 10% when you buy Los Angeles car insurance online.
- Driving Data Discount - Insureds who allow driving data collection to monitor where and when they drive by installing a telematics device like Allstate's Drivewise may see discounts as long as they are good drivers.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency so companies will give you a small discount.
You should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, passive restraint, student away at school, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good student.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century has savings for theft prevention, teen driver, 55 and older, anti-lock brakes, and air bags.
- American Family may include discounts for multi-vehicle, early bird, good driver, good student, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, and air bags.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include good student, defensive driver, bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, anti-theft, and driver training.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, anti-theft, good student, multi-car, and education and occupation.
Check with each insurance company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts may not apply in Los Angeles.
When do I need an agent's advice?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. You are unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Local insurance agents
A lot of people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of comparing car insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and also buy local. Putting coverage with local agencies is definitely important in Los Angeles.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Los Angeles who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. You won't need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
The following is a short list of insurers in Los Angeles that can give you rate quotes for Nissan Leaf insurance in Los Angeles.
- Public Insurance Agency
10941 W Pico Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 90064 - (310) 234-8600 - View Map
- Lloyd S. Berkett Insurance Agency, Inc.
11150 W Olympic Blvd # 1100 - Los Angeles, CA 90064 - (310) 857-5757 - View Map
- Carmel Stevens - State Farm Insurance Agent
4918 W Slauson Ave - Los Angeles, CA 90056 - (323) 292-7930 - View Map
- Odette Manalastas - State Farm Insurance Agent
4448 Eagle Rock Blvd e - Los Angeles, CA 90041 - (323) 254-5800 - View Map
Choosing an company shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
Affordable insurance rates are available
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to shop for Nissan Leaf insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies. They may only write in your state and offer lower prices as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don't be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Budget-friendly insurance in Los Angeles can be found on the web and from local agencies, so you need to quote Los Angeles car insurance with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not provide price quotes online and these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent agents.
More tips and info about insurance can be read by following these links:
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Teachers in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 25 in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)