Want to save money and find low-cost Saturn Ion insurance in Los Angeles? No car owner likes having to buy insurance, particularly when they could get a better deal.
A study showed that nearly 70% of drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and just short of a majority have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average insurance premium being $1,390, Los Angeles drivers can save nearly $470 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates and save money. Companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate constantly bombard you with ad campaigns and it is difficult to see past the corporate glitz and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It's a good idea to check insurance prices every six months because insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest premium rates on Saturn Ion insurance in Los Angeles a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to one of the quickest ways to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
If you're already insured or just want to reduce your rates, you can use these tips to buy cheaper insurance while maximizing coverage. Buying the cheapest insurance in Los Angeles can be easy if you know a few tricks. Shoppers just have to learn the proper way to compare different rates on the web.
Save a ton with these eight discounts
Companies don't always list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Los Angeles car insurance online.
- Accident Free - Los Angeles drivers who stay claim-free pay much less in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars with anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Senior Citizens - If you're over the age of 55, you are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Telematics Data - Policyholders that allow their insurance company to track vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot may see discounts as long as they are good drivers.
- Switch and Save Discount - Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a new policy early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Distant College Student Discount - College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for cheaper premium rates.
Just know that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like it's possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are:
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, daytime running lights, air bags, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, and seat belt use.
- SAFECO offers discounts including teen safety rewards, multi-car, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, and anti-theft.
- State Farm has savings for good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, defensive driving training, and passive restraint.
- MetLife may include discounts for good driver, accident-free, good student, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free
- 21st Century has discounts for teen driver, good student, automatic seat belts, theft prevention, and 55 and older.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, good student, online signing, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find the cheapest Saturn Ion rate quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Los Angeles. To find insurance companies who offer online Saturn Ion insurance quotes in California, click here.
The following companies have been selected to offer free quotes in California. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Insurance agent or online?
Many drivers would rather get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is still important in Los Angeles.
After completing this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that provide free Los Angeles car insurance quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you. If you need to compare rates from a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurer shouldn't rely on just the price. Any agent in Los Angeles should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in California?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
Auto insurance 101
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance helps when choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
Auto collision coverage
This covers damage to your Ion resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims like rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car, scraping a guard rail and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Ion to get cheaper collision coverage.
This can cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims like pain and suffering, repair costs for stationary objects, funeral expenses and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, rock chips in glass, damage from flooding, falling objects and vandalism. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like doctor visits, prosthetic devices, ambulance fees and chiropractic care. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Saturn Ion.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 15/30/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Do the work, save more money
We've covered many ideas to save on Saturn Ion insurance in Los Angeles. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Saturn Ion insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best car insurance rates are with the smaller companies. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Cheap Saturn Ion insurance in Los Angeles is possible online and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers don't offer online rate quotes and these regional carriers work with independent agencies.
Even more information can be found in these articles:
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for High School Students in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Los Angeles Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in Los Angeles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Los Angeles Car Insurance Quotes for Active Military? (FAQ)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)